After announcing the remastered version of StarCraft, Blizzard has now made the original game officially available for everyone to enjoy — nearly twenty years after its original release. The classic game is complete with its expansion, Brood War.
One of the highest-rated, most celebrated games in the RTS genre can be downloaded for free over at their site. It comes with improvements and refinements including compatibility with Windows 7, 8.1, and 10 as well as better gameplay responsiveness on multiplayer, in addition to other bug fixes.
This could be a marketing move from the company right before they release the remastered version this summer.
Below are the general additions for the free to download game:
- Added windowed fullscreen or windowed mode; use Alt+Enter to switch between.
- Added UTF-8 support.
- Added cursor clamping in-game while windowed; unclamped in menus.
- Added Popular Maps to streamline finding games or game types.
- Added options to display actions per minute.
- Added Observer mode.
- Added opponent information when joining a game lobby.
- Added autosaving for replays.
- Added an option to display the game timer.
- Added UPnP support.
- Updated to a new OpenGL backend.
- Improved gameplay responsiveness during multiplayer by increasing turn rate to match LAN speeds over Battle.net.
- Improved UI layout in Battle.net sections.
- Improved behavior of available lobbies within the ‘Join Game’ section.
- Improved compatibility with Windows 7, 8.1, and 10.
- Improved anticheat capabilities.
- Improved installation and patching performance.
- Mac Beta support now available for 10.11 and up.